Friday 3 August 2012

A Perfectly Caitlyn Helmet

On Wednesday, the 25th of July at 9:30am i met my helmet baby for the first time......and she was gorgeous!

We got our second choice of colours which was pale butterflies and flowers and I'm so pleased. It suits her to a tee!

Our Dr showed us how to put the helmet on and off, made some final adjustments and ran through all the instructions and the weaning process. We asked any questions we had and made our follow up appointment for four weeks time. And with that we were sent on our way.

After collecting Mr William from my inlaws and making Miss C cry with my abysmal first attempt to put on her helmet, we made the drive home.

My first attempt - The tears started when i tried to get the helmet off again.

We arrived home, unpacked and it was not even 2pm in the afternoon. Plenty of time to begin weaning on the helmet. 30mins on, 30 mins off. 1hr on, 30 mins off. Double the time on as we progressed and checking for rubbing during the "off" periods. Once she could wear it for double the length of a nap, she could attempt to nap in it. Once she could wear it all day, we could attempt to have her sleep in it all night. The whole process would take just over 2 days.

Those first moments, oh those first moments. I was so nervous, but excited. This was the beginning of a process which would unwonk the wonky and make my babys world a better place.

I must say, i was downright no good. I was awkward and halting with that helmet. This tiny helmet perfectly made for my daughter. A helmet that weighed just over 100 grams. An apparently indestructible 100 grams at that too.

But she was fine, she wasn't bothered at all. She played, she laughed, we went on with our day. I felt my whole body sigh with relief! She didn't hate it! The next few months of her life weren't going to suck and be downright miserable!! That in itself was a success, and I'm going to count every little helmet success like gold, until that day we are helmet free for good. xx

Caitlyn happily playing on her first helmeted day.

Just look at that happy, chunky, squishable baby head!!!

Just because shes so stinkin cute!!




2 comments:

  1. She is stinkin cute!! hope things go smoothly for you all!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ann, Thank you so much for taking the time to read and comment on my blog! Thank you so much for being so sweet!!!

      Delete